Yes, I'm home from 5 days away, far far away in Portland, Oregon, and pictures and exposition later on that. I'm up here for a moment and clicked over to Lisa's blog to find that 10 on Tuesday and had to steal.
1. The "Ten on Tuesday" suggestion I got in my inbox yesterday was "10 favorite romantic comedies" and I couldn't think of any romantic comedies because my brain is too sluggish.
2. The basil, usually hearty and heat-tolerant, requires constant pampering. Neighbor Girl Bree stopping by once a day, even with a thunderstorm on Saturday, was not enough.
3. The tomatoes. It is too hot for fruit to set. What? I have green plants and blossoms and that's it. My neighbors do, too, so it isn't some sort of Bridgett-specific negligence.
4. Clothes dried on the line smell like hot. I opened my suitcase in the hotel Thursday night and the clothes inside smelled like they would be extra-flammable. I can't explain it better than that. They don't smell like breeze or crisp fall days or iffy-damp spring mornings. They smell like, well, heat.
5. The squirrels are out of their minds. Digging in flower pots that have just been watered. One of our baby watermelons got eaten, all the way to the rind, last week. I caged the rest but one still had claw marks on it when I looked out this morning.
6. Kids are slugs and I don't care. Watch some more TV, kids. Nobody is asking to swim. Nobody is asking to go anywhere.
7. I don't want to go anywhere. I don't want to run errands. I don't want to go to grocery store. Whatever we have in the house is enough. I have nothing I need so bad to justify starting my car and driving somewhere.
8. As a curly girl, I usually just rinse my hair in hot water and condition it. If I'm faithful to this during colder months, my hair isn't a giant puffball and I look semi-sane most of the time. The last month? I've washed it every day. Bleah.
9. We turned the AC up to 80 when we left on Thursday and turned it back down again to a reasonable level last night. When we got home and did things like turn on ceiling fans, the whole place smelled like the knee-wall closets in the attic. Ancient plaster and coal dust toasted up to a nice golden brown. The air is still thick.
10. Tonight is National Night Out. Ridiculous. It's always so ridiculously hot. Expletive deleted.