Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ten on Tuesday: 10 Favorite TV Moms

Hmm. Obviously still working to distract myself. Here it is 7:45 and I have 10 minutes between grocery shopping, dinner, kitchen cleaning, and bedtime grind. Ten favorite TV moms? I hardly watched TV growing up. And I don't think Law & Order and Star Trek: Next Generation had a lot of moms to look up to. Although Next Gen had one.

1. Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development. I mean, come on.

2. The Dowager Countess (Maggie Smith) on Downton Abbey. I wish she were in my family.

3.  Colleen Donaghy on 30 Rock. When she and Jack talk, I can hear my family if my family were just a little bit quicker on the uptake.

4. All the mothers on Charlie Brown cartoons. I often feel like my voice is just a warbling trumpet when I talk to my kids.

5. K'Ehleyr, mother of Alexander (whose father is Worf). There. A TV mom I can relate to. Half Klingon, half human, she thinks Klingons are ridiculous but isn't quite at home with humanity. She is sarcastic and aloof and shares her opinions freely with her son. When she dies (of course she dies), Worf has a hard time breaking Alexander of bad habits (in his eyes) that K'Ehleyr allowed. Which is probably what would happen if I were killed by a grudge-holding Klingon hoping to bribe me to win the leadership of the council.

6. Jessica Tate from Soap. Completely absolutely clueless, does she even know who her children are?

7. Everyone on Parenthood. I know they're not all moms. But it's my family, if Bevin made a few big mistakes, if Ian had actually been more selfish and clueless, if Colleen were a lawyer instead of a bike polo player, and if I were a guy. Otherwise, there we are. And they are excruciating to watch. In a good way.

8. Dahlia Malloy (Minnie Driver) from The Riches. Recovering meth addict Irish Traveller who assumes the identity of a rich dead woman. Who lets her children do what they need to do and the whole mess starts because she and her husband (played by Eddie Izzard) run away from their clan to keep their daughter from marrying the dim relative that their clan set her up with.

9. Linda Flynn-Fletcher from Phineas and Ferb. I am already having the sorts of conversations with Fiona that she has with Candace. Of course not involving backyard roller coasters and space rockets. But still.

10. Louisa Glasson from Doc Martin, especially her interactions with her own mother and with the father of her child AND balancing a teaching career with kids. It's all good.

5 comments:

Gail said...

K'Ehleyr is absolutely fabulous. What a great choice.

And I'd forgotten that Jessica Tate existed. Thanks for the reminder.

Mary Helen said...

Of course, in my old-lady experience, Jessica Tate is the only one I've really seen. And I loved her!! That was a great show. Talk about a crazy family!

Eulalia Benejam Cobb said...

I loved Doc Martin. I wish the series hadn't ended.

Indigo Bunting said...

I didn't know anyone else ever watched The Riches.

Elyssa said...

I like whats-her-name on The Middle. She keeps it real!